Employment Opportunities in Summer Recreation
Would you like to work in New York State's beautiful Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserves this summer?
Jobs will typically start the last part of May and run through Labor Day or Columbus Day.
Summer Recreation operates 51 public campgrounds and 4 day use areas throughout the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. Over 500 seasonal employees are employed to provide varied services throughout the summer season.
Most Common Titles
Park and Recreation Aide Series - Must be physically able to perform a variety of maintenance and/or clerical duties. Candidates must be at least 16 years of age. Preference may be given to candidates 18 years of age with a valid driver's license.
Conservation Security Worker (previously Conservation Park Ranger) - Must be in good physical condition. Must possess a motor vehicle operator's license and have completed either:
- One year course at a ranger school or similar learning institution, in a park or natural resource management, law enforcement or similar curriculum; or
- One season (6 months minimum) of recreation facility experience involving contact with the public or in the enforcement of laws, policies, rules and regulations; or
- One year of working or interacting with the public in a recreational facility; or
- One year of environmental experience in a remote wilderness setting; or
- Have six months work experience in law enforcement, security services employment, military service or similar experience actively involved with public contact or in the enforcement of laws, policies, and rules and regulations; or
- Have completed at least 15 college credit hours in criminal justice or similar course work.
Interested candidates should identify the facility they would like to work at, and contact the Regional Officer tasked with hiring. For general employment inquiries, call 518-457-2500, or email [email protected].
The current hourly rate for a NYS Lifeguard 1 is $20.00. The DEC hires lifeguards for Lake George (Million Dollar) Beach Day Use Area in Lake George and for Hinckley Reservoir Day Use Area in Cold Brook.
Qualifications for employment are:
- Minimum age is 15.
- At the time of employment, all candidates must possess current certifications in American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer (or the equivalent) and the American Red Cross Lifeguarding and Waterfront Skills Certification (or the equivalent). Candidates should also possess American Red Cross First Aid (or equivalent) if not included in lifeguard training course. All certifications must remain current through the entire operating season. Candidates may participate in the lifeguard qualifying procedure without the above certifications; however, they must be provided before employment begins.
- DEC Lifeguards will be required to pass a NYS qualifying procedure before employment begins, list of qualifying procedure test dates and location are linked below.
- Prior to start of employment, each candidate will be required to submit a current New York State Department of Environmental Conservation "Medical Standards for Lifeguards" form with a physician's certification that the candidate is physically capable of performing lifeguard duties.
- As per the Agency standard, lifeguard candidates must meet the vision requirement of 20/70 uncorrected vision in both eyes and be correctable to the 20/40 standard.
2024 Lifeguard Qualifier Dates and Locations
All DEC Lifeguards are required to pass a NYS qualifying procedure before employment begins. All qualifiers will be administered by the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP). A list of upcoming qualifier dates, locations and pre-registration contacts can be found on their website. Pre-registration is required.
For general questions about waterfront safety/lifeguarding, contact the DEC at 518-457-2500 or at [email protected]
DEC Regional Office Contacts and Addresses
|Reg. 3 New Paltz
|21 S. Putts Corners Rd., New Paltz, NY 12561
|Reg. 4 Stamford
|65561 State Highway 10, Suite 1, Stamford, NY 12167
|Reg. 5 Northville
|PO Box 1316, Northville, NY 12134
|Reg. 5 Indian Lake
|PO Box 246, Indian Lake, NY 12842
|Reg. 5 Warrensburg
|232 Golf Course Rd., Warrensburg, NY 12885
|Reg. 5 Crown Point
|738 Bridge St., Crown Point, NY 12928
|Reg. 5 Ray Brook
|PO Box 296, Ray Brook, NY 12977
|Reg. 6 Herkimer
|225 N. Main St., Herkimer, NY 13350
|Reg. 6 Potsdam
|6739 U.S. Highway 11, Potsdam, NY 13676