Environmental Cleanup & Brownfields
DEC's mission to promote and regulate environmental cleanup and safe brownfield redevelopment is accomplished through programs of the Division of Environmental Remediation.
Promoting Site Cleanups
Technical Guidance and Policy on Investigations and Cleanups Overseen by DEC
- Environmental Cleanup Policy and Guidance
- Brownfield and Superfund Regulation
- 6 NYCRR Subpart 375-6.8: Soil Cleanup Objective Tables
- Environmental Cleanup Projects in Your Region - projects under DEC oversight listed by New York State regions.
- Environmental Site Database Search - Search for information on all sites in DEC's cleanup programs.
- Calendar of Site Public Meetings and Comment Periods - All scheduled public meetings and comment periods for contaminated sites in DEC's cleanup programs.
Looking for More Information?
- Owners of commercial and residential fuel oil tanks located in flood-prone areas should take precautions to minimize risk for flooding of the tank:
- Preparing for Storms/Flooding: Owners of Fuel Oil Tanks
- New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) What Homeowners Need to Know About Fuel Oil Spills and Flooding (PDF, 100KB, this link downloads a PDF from the NYSDOH's website)
- NYSDOH - Preparing for Storms & Weathering Floods and Power Outages
- New York State Office of Emergency Management - Flood Safety Tips
- NYS Brownfield Programs Email List - Sign up with DEC Delivers to receive brownfield news and notifications from DEC via email (check the "Hazardous Waste and Cleanup" box)
- Contaminated Sites Email List - Sign up with DEC Delivers to receive information about contaminated sites in your county via email.
- Brownfield Redevelopment Toolbox - A Guide to Assist Communities in Redeveloping New York State's Brownfields (PDF) (1.21 mB, 45 page).
Contaminated Sites Email Listservs
DEC's Division of Environmental Remediation is committed to informing and involving the public during the investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites being addressed under the State's various remedial programs. As a listserv member, you will periodically receive site-related information/announcements for all contaminated sites in the counties you select. DEC invites you to receive site information by email by signing up at the appropriate county listserv(s), which can be found on the page titled Contaminated Sites Emails by County.