Funding Finder Tool
Are you looking for funding? Our new tool can help you!
The Funding Finder, developed by the NYSDEC Division of Water in conjunction with the Long Island Sound Study, is designed to simplify the process of finding grant opportunities. The tool enables grant seekers to filter grant opportunities based on criteria that meets their specific needs.
After discussions with different stakeholders, it was clear there is a barrier to applicants being aware of grant opportunities. The Funding Finder is part of the solution and encompasses a wide variety of federal, state, and local funding and will be updated periodically. DEC grants featured in the tool include: water protection, wildlife protection, land and forest protection, climate change and environmental justice grants. Find more information on DEC specific grants.
To download the Funding Finder and associated User Guide, click the links below.
- Funding Finder (Note: Preferred browsers for this tool are Chrome and Safari. If you are using Microsoft Edge or Firefox, allow pop-ups and click "download file.")
- Funding Finder User Guide - Step-by-step instruction packet with illustration for additional guidance.
How to use the Funding Finder
This simple tool allows grant seekers to filter through grants based on categories including: eligible applicants, project type, project phase, and regional coverage. The results of your search within the tool will provide you with a direct link to the RFP of the grant(s) that best meet your search result. For additional information contact the grant agent directly with more specific questions about a funding program.
Steps to using the Funding Finders
- As previously mentioned, there are four categories that you can use to filter or narrow down your search (Eligible Applicants, Project Type, Project Phase, Regional Coverage)
- When a category is selected, the tool will produce a search result including all the grants that are covered by that category
- As the choices are selected under any category, the tool will narrow down the options in the other categories based on selection, this will be evidenced by the shaded box color.
- As selections are made in the search boxes, a list of all the pertinent grants will populate in the green table adjacent to the search boxes.
- After the associated grants are populated, scroll over to see more information about the grant and access to the specific grant announcement.
For more detailed instructions on how to use the tool, download and use the Funding Finder User Guide.
If you have questions regarding use of the Funding Finder, email us at: [email protected]
Tips on Navigating Grant Funding
Learning how to be successful at securing and managing grants is critical in today's world. Check out NYSDEC Division of Water's webinar, Navigating Grant Funding: Municipal Success Stories (leaves DEC's website) to learn strategies and methods from your peers on accessing grant funding.
Each presenter either works directly for a municipality or partners with municipalities to support them in applying and managing grant funds. They provided examples on how grant funding helped solves problems in their community and reduce costs.
Key strategies shared to successfully access grant funding:
- Garner local support for the project
- Build relationships with local partners
- Apply to all applicable funding opportunities
- Use multiple grants to fund a project
- Use in-kind services to meet match requirements
- Use grant funds to pay for staff
- Tips for first-time grant applicants