- Open for recreation: Year-round
- Fee: Free
- Contact Information:
- Location: Towns of Providence and Greenfield, Saratoga County
- Wildlife Management Unit: 5J
- Map: Lake Desolation State Forest Map (GeoPDF) - GeoPDF Instructions || Google Earth || DECinfo Locator
The 433-acre Lake Desolation State Forest is tucked in a scenic area surrounded by glacial lakes and wetlands. The area around Lake Desolation State Forest has a rich local history in war, artisan work, and technology. This is highlighted in the designated state historic site of the "Granger Glass Factory." This site is accessible through an undesignated trail. The beautiful scenery and wildlife makes this a perfect destination for non-motorized recreation.
The state forest features undesignated trails which are ideal for hiking or walking. These trails lead to both the Granger Glass Factory as well as various wetlands throughout the property. There is an abundance of wildlife to observe while enjoying non-motorized recreation.
Lake Desolation Road Conservation Easement Tract located in the town of Greenfield, adjacent to the state forest, is 2,128 acres. This conservation easement is open for non-motorized recreational uses including, hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, biking and camping at designated sites, etc. Snowmobile trails are open during the winter months.
- Access is from Lake Desolation Road only.
- On the southern shore of Archer Vly, there is an accessible parking spot, privy and car-top launch.
- There are four designated primitive tent sites on Archer Vly.
- Two can be accessed by trails from the parking area off Lake Desolation Road.
- Two can be accessed by boat.
- ATV use is not permitted. All non-motorized uses are permitted throughout the property.
- No vehicles are permitted past gates or signs indicating no motorized use.
- Please respect private property; several inholdings are throughout the property.