- Open for Recreation: A half hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset.
- Fee: $10
- Contact Information:
- DEC Region 3 Office (M-F, 8:30AM - 4:30PM), 845-256-3076; [email protected]
- Enforcement Matters: 1-833-NYS-RANGERS (1-833-697-7264) or 911
- Location: Town of Denning, Ulster County
- Wildlife Management Unit: 3C
- Map: Parking Map for Peekamoose Corridor (PDF) || Google Earth || DECinfo Locator
The Peekamoose Blue Hole is located in Sundown Wild Forest, set within the secluded wilderness of the Catskill Forest Preserve. The Blue Hole is a depression in the streambed rock of the Rondout Creek, a unique natural feature formed by sand and swirling gravel in an ancient whirlpool. The creek is part of the New York City drinking water watershed. Over the last few years, the wilderness experience has been affected by the presence of large crowds on summer weekends.
Please keep in mind that parking is extremely limited and parking along the roadway is prohibited. Any vehicle parked along the roadway will be ticketed or towed.
This is a carry in/carry out facility - users are required to take out any trash that they bring in. Two portable toilets and a dumpster are provided during the summer months between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
DEC has issued special regulations for the Blue Hole and Peekamoose Valley because of the huge increase in visitors. The purpose of these regulations is to increase public safety and reduce impacts to the environmental resources.
- Require visitors to obtain a permit for a $10 fee through Reserve America, consistent with fees for other recreation-oriented Day Use areas in the Forest Preserve;
- Each permit will be linked to a vehicle, and the permit must be displayed on/in the vehicle;
- Limit parking to designated parking areas only. Parking along the shoulder of the road is prohibited by the Town and is a Tow Away Zone;
- Users are required to use portable restroom facilities for human waste disposal and the dumspter for all other waste;
- The following are prohibited at the Blue Hole (limited use will be allowed at the nearby designated camping area only):
- Except for the nearby designated camping area, the Blue Hole is only open to the public from one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset.
- All fires (including charcoal fires, wood fires, gas grills, propane stoves or other portable stoves)
- Use of portable generators
- Glass containers
- Coolers larger than 12" in any dimension
- Radios and other audio devices
- Parking is limited to designated parking areas only. Parking along the shoulder of the road is prohibited by the Town and is a Tow Away Zone.