Black Bear Tracking Dog License
This license authorizes an individual to train dogs of select breeds to track, trail, pursue, and tree black bear for training purposes only.
Fees & License Duration
The 1-year license is $25. The 5-year license is $100.
Age requirement is 18 years of age or older.
What This License Allows:
- Using "certified black bear tracking dogs" (defined below) to track, trail, pursue, and tree black bear for training purposes only.
- Placing bait to attract black bear.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Taking or harvesting of black bear(s). (Exception: certified dogs may be used to aid in the take of bear causing destruction to private property. An additional nuisance permit is needed by the landowner in this instance.)
- Using firearms, crossbow or bows while training or tracking is being conducted.
- Training dogs when temperatures are 85 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.
- Pursuing black bear or placing bait on private or public property without permission.
Other Pertinent Information
Training Hours and Dates
Training may occur a half hour before sunrise to sunset from July 1st until 9 days before the beginning of the black bear hunting season.
Certified Dogs and Breeds
A certified dog must be licensed, collared, identified and vaccinated against rabies in accordance with the NYS Agriculture and Markets Law (Article 7) (Leaves DEC website)
Must be either a purebred or crossbreed of one or more of the following:
- American Black & Tan Coonhound
- Bluetick Coonhound
- Redbone Coonhound
- English Coonhound
- Karelian Bear Dog
- Majestic Tree Hound
- Plott Hound
- Mountain Cur
- Leopard Cur
- Black Mouth Yellow Cur
- Treeing Walker
How to Apply
- Have a current year NYS hunting license.
- Complete and submit the Black Bear Tracking Dog License Application (PDF) (283KB).
Other Licenses or Documents You May Need
A licensee can designate other individuals (residents - any age; nonresidents 18 years or older) to place bait as an attractant for bear as long they are listed on a written list maintained by the licensee. The designated agent must possess a copy of the licensees Black Bear Tracking Dog License, signed by the agent, while setting bait.
Temporary Revocable Permit
If a field trial is conducted on New York State lands or conservation easement lands, a Temporary Revocable Permit is needed.
If training or baiting is conducted on private land other than the licensee's own property, permission from the landowner is needed.
Renewing & Reporting
A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the license expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us.
Complete the Training of Dogs on Black Bear in NYS Survey Report (PDF) (1MB) and submit by December 31 each year. Required for all 1-year and 5-year license holders.
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 175: Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures (Leaves DEC website)
- Part 187.2: Miscellaneous Black Bear Regulations (Leaves DEC website)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
To read please visit the website for New York State Legislature (Leaves DEC website)
- 11-0521 Destructive wildlife; taking pursuant to permit
- 11-0903(8) Feeding of bears
- 11-0923(6) Dogs
- 11-0928 Tracking dogs
DEC Special Licenses Unit
Address: 625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
E-mail: [email protected]
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting the use of tracking or hunting dogs on wildlife or game: