Authorizes an individual to stock fish in privately owned or leased ponds that are 10-acres or smaller in size.
What This License Allows:
- Stocking certified disease free fish in the licensed pond.
- Managing fish production to control undesirable fish, vegetation or insects.
- Only the licensee and their immediate family members and employees may:
- Fish in the pond without a fishing license
- Take fish at any time, in any size, in any number, and in any manner/method permitted by the department
- Selling fish (except trout, bass, muskellunge and landlocked salmon) taken from the licensed pond.
What This License Does Not Allow:
- Fishing without a fishing license or without adherence to statewide angling regulations/seasons by anyone other than the licensee, immediate family members or employees
- Taking and selling bait fish without a bait license.
- Removing protected fish from the licensed premises unless the fish are packaged with the name, address and license number of the licensee, and the name and address of the person taking the fish.
- Stocking personally collected fish from another water body.
Other Pertinent Information
- Farm Fish Pond Criteria (qualifications for this permit)
- Impounded by a dam
- No more than 10 acres of water surface when full
- Located within owned or leased lands of license applicant, provided that the land is not a private camp, boarding house, hotel or other establishment that caters to the public.
- Fish Health Certification Report: Prior to stocking fish into the waters of the state or selling fish for stocking, the licensee must have a valid fish health certification report to indicate that the fish are free of diseases. This is typically provided by the hatchery or facility. More details can be found in the regulations link below.
How to Apply
- Have a copy of a map highlighting the location/pond(s) to be licensed. (Example maps: topographic, road/highway, internet/Google, etc.)
- Complete and submit the Farm Fish Pond License Application (PDF)
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 188: Fish Health Inspections (leaves DEC website)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
To find this law click on the link, click on ENV, find Article 11, click on the appropriate law.
- 11-1911: Farm Fish Ponds (leaves DEC website)
Bureau of Fisheries
Find a Regional Fisheries Office near you for phone, email and address information.
Additional Resources and Information
- Private and Commercial Fish Hatcheries - list of licensed fish hatcheries from which fish can be purchased.
- Farm Fish Pond Management: details on properly using fish to manage pond vegetation or fish production.
- Stocking Privately Held Waters: information on requirements for stocking fish into privately owned waters.
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting fish stocking: