Sale Of Elephant And Mammoth Ivory Or Rhinoceros Horn
What This License Allows:
This permit authorizes the sale, trade, barter or distribution of legally acquired elephant or mammoth ivory or rhinoceros horn articles.
There is no fee for this license
The duration of this license is 1 year from the date of issuance.
View restrictions, authorized activities, frequently asked questions and chart entitled "What can I do with my ivory article or rhinoceros horn" (PDF) for sale, purchase, trade, barter or distribution of legally acquired ivory or horn articles/products.
How to Apply
Interstate or Intrastate Sale, Barter, Trade
- Submit the following items or documents as appropriate:
- Photograph of the article/item(s)
- Historical documentation establishing the age of the article and any repairs to the article, including photographs of makers mark and manufacture dates or one or more of the following documents that denotes the age of the article or date of manufacture:
- U.S. Customs records
- Bill of sale or receipt
- Scientific test results determining the age
- Dated photographs or media articles
- Other Documentation
- Other documentation establishing that ivory article or rhinoceros horn meets an exception.
- Documentation establishing the percentage of ivory, and the weight and value of the African Ivory where required.
- For transfer or donation for scientific or education purposes only:
- Formal project proposal or education program outline
- Resumes or Curriculum Vitae of researchers or educators
- For certain mammoth ivory distributions to museums, documentation establishing the article is a mammoth species.
- See "What can I do with my ivory article or rhinoceros horn" (PDF) for more detail on required documentation.
- Complete and submit the following forms:
Distribution to a Legal Beneficiary or Heir/Distribution of an Estate
- Submit the following items or documents:
- Photograph of the article/item(s)
- Written description of the article/item(s)
- Declaration that the registrant believes the article(s) pre-dates 1976
- Complete and submit a copy of the following form:
Other Pertinent Information
Purchasing Ivory or Horn
Any person who purchases an article containing elephant/mammoth ivory or rhinoceros horn in the state must receive a copy of the seller's NYS ivory or horn permit and keep it with the articles.
To add additional articles or items to an existing permit, you must submit a written request for amendment along with the required documentation above
Renewing & Reporting
A renewal form will be sent by mail prior to the expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us.
Complete and submit annual report prior to the expiration date noted on the license.
Laws & Regulations
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
Please visit New York State Legislature (Leaves DEC website)
- 11-0535: Endangered and Threatened Species
- 11-0535-A: Illegal Ivory Articles and Rhinoceros Horns
- 11-0536: Sale of Certain Wild Animals or Wild Animal Products Prohibited
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
- Part 182: Endangered and Threatened Species of Fish and Wildlife (Leaves DEC website)
- Part 175: Special Licenses and Permits - Definitions and Uniform Procedures (Leaves DEC website)
DEC Special Licenses Unit
625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
Additional Resources and Information
- African Elephant Ivory Trade Questions & Answers (Leaves DEC website)
Other Related or Similar Licenses
DEC also issues the following licenses for permitting sale of articles or items made of endangered or threatened species:
- Dead Endangered and Threatened Species License (Leaves DEC website): authorizes sale of products made in whole or in part from endangered or threatened species.