Enjoy New York's Scenic and Rich Outdoors
New York's breathtaking natural resources are unique, abundant, and open to everyone. The opportunities abound, from hunting and fishing, to hiking and rock climbing, swimming and boating, or simply relaxing in a tent under the stars. Find exciting state lands you can visit across New York.
DEC plays a vital role in both protecting our natural resources and providing opportunities for people to enjoy them. We are making critical upgrades to State campgrounds and facilities and we encourage more New Yorkers and visitors to connect with nature and outdoor recreation.
- Visit a Trail Less Traveled - find quiet hikes that are off the beaten path
- Fishing Seasons are open! Check season dates and get your fishing license
- Our How To Video series on YouTube shows how to conduct yourself safely in the backcountry
- NYS Birding Trail is open - Find birding locations across NY - more locations coming soon!
- @NYSDECAlerts on Twitter provides real-time updates from DEC-managed lands - plan ahead with this new tool!
DEC's Adventure NY initiative was launched in 2017 to connect more New York families and visitors to the great outdoors. To provide for an even better user experience, DEC is making investments to improve public access to state land and water, upgrade campgrounds and facilities, and increase public awareness and information of all the outdoor recreation opportunities available in New York State.