Tidal Hudson River Special Regulations
Statewide seasons and limits apply, except as listed below.
|Tidal Hudson River and all tributaries to the first impassible barrier by fish
|Black Bass: June 15 through November 30, Minimum Length 15", Daily Limit 5. Fishing for black bass (including catch and release) is prohibited from December 1 through June 14.
|American Shad, Fishing for or possession prohibited
|Tidal Hudson River north of the George Washington Bridge and all tributaries upstream to the 1st impassible barrier to fish
|Striped Bass, April 1-Nov 30, Daily Limit-1 (not less than 18" nor greater than 28"). Fishing for striped bass (including catch and release) is prohibited from December 1 through March 31 in the Hudson River above the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge.
Note: Non-offset (inline) circle hooks must be used when recreationally fishing for striped bass using natural bait as defined (see definition). Exemption: Circle hooks are not required when fishing with an artificial lure, whether or not they are tipped with bait.
|From the Battery to the Troy Dam and all tributaries upstream to the 1st barrier impassable by fish
|American Eel (for bait only), All year, Minimum Length-9"-14", Daily Limit-25
(Note: No eels may be possessed for food)
Taking of Anadromous River Herring with Personal Use Nets
- No person shall take anadromous river herring with a net within Hudson River tributaries and embayments. Prior to entering a Hudson River tributary or embayment, all personal use nets must be stowed in a secured container on deck or in a container below deck.
- No person shall take anadromous river herring from the Hudson River:
- with more than one net when taking with a scap or dip net;
- with a dip net exceeding 14 inches in diameter if it is round form or exceeding 13 inches by 13 inches if it is square form;
- with a scap or lift net exceeding 16 square feet;
- with a seine net exceeding 36 square feet; or a cast net exceeding 10 feet in diameter.
|Method of Taking
|Daily Possession Limit
|Hudson River tributaries and embayments, including Mohawk River (see the Mohawk River exception on the DEC Region 5 Special Regulations page).
|March 15-June 15
|10 per angler, OR a maximum boat limit of 50 per day for a group of boat anglers, whichever is lower
|Main stem of the Hudson River from Lock 1 near Waterford, south to the George Washington Bridge
|Angling or by personal use nets
License or Registry Requirements
|Species Fishing For
|License or Registry
|North of Mario M. Cuomo Bridge
|Freshwater Fishing License
|Migratory Marine Species
|Recreational Marine Fishing Registry
|South of Mario M. Cuomo Bridge
(Marine and Coastal District)
Blue Crab Regulations
50 blue crabs per day. Minimum carapace length across the back is:
- Hard crab: 4-1/2 inches
- Soft shell crab: 3-1/2 inches
- Peeler crab: 3 inches
No license is required to collect blue crabs.