Wear proper gear and attire, including sturdy, comfortable boots.
- Moisture-wicking synthetic fabrics that keep your skin dry and help regulate your body temperature in both cold and warm weather - avoid cotton as it holds moisture
- Layered clothing is recommended even for summer hikes
- Light-colored clothing, which will make it easier to see ticks
- Waterproof, sturdy, and comfortable shoes or boots
- A watch or other time-keeping device
- Trekking poles will reduce leg fatigue and joint pain
- Snowshoes and traction devices in the winter