This license allows for the collection possession of native marine species for education, exhibition, or scientific research.
|1-year from issuance
|18 years of age or older
This License Allows:
- Possession of captive raised or permanently disabled native marine fish and shellfish for education, exhibition, or scientific purposes.
- Collection and possession of native marine fish and shellfish for education, exhibition, or scientific purposes.
This License Does Not Allow:
- The possession of any regulated species as pets.
- Sale or propagation of regulated species held pursuant to this license.
How to Apply
- Complete the online License to Collect of Possess: Marine Resources Application
You may also contact the Marine Permit Office at [email protected] or by calling (631) 444-0470 to request an application.
Current License Holder Information
All licenses expire one year from the date of issuance. A license renewal will be sent by email to the license holder prior to the expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, email [email protected] or contact the Marine Permit Office at (631) 444-0470.
To apply for a license amendment, complete the online License Amendment Request Application.
Only include the information pertaining to the specific amendment(s) you are requesting. Please do not include previously submitted information already authorized under your license. A license amendment can include one or more of the following changes:
- Name change
- Contact information change (mailing address, phone number, email address)
- Site location change
- Adding or removing designated agents
- Any other changes
Note: License amendment requests must be submitted prior to the change taking place.
All licensees must submit an annual report with their license renewal. The license will have a condition that lists the required information for the annual report.
Laws and Regulations
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
- 11-0515 Licenses to Collect, Possess or Sell for Propagation, Scientific or Exhibition Purposes
To access full text visit New York State Legislature. Select 'ENV' from the Consolidated Laws list to access ECL. Under Article 11 - Fish and Wildlife, select Title 5, and then select 11-0515.
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
Other Related or Similar Licenses
- License to Collect, Possess or Sell: For all collection, possession, or sale of fish, wildlife, shellfish, crustaceans, aquatic insects, birds, and/or captive bred/permanently disabled species for the purpose of education, exhibition, scientific research or propagation (breeding).
- License to Collect or Possess - Shellfish Gardening: For waterfront property owner to grow shellfish at their dock, bulkhead or privately owned underwater lands for education and/or restoration purposes through an established shellfish growing program.