This license allows a waterfront property owner to grow shellfish at their dock, bulkhead or privately owned underwater lands for education and/or restoration purposes through an established shellfish growing program.
|1-year from issuance
|18 years of age or older
This License Allows:
- Possession of undersized shellfish obtained from a permitted hatchery.
- Personal consumption of shellfish if allowed by the shellfish growing program and the licensee understands the risks eating shellfish poses and the protocols to mitigate those risks.
This License Does Not Allow:
- Any commercial activity. Shellfish raised pursuant to this license shall not be offered for sale, sold, donated, or distributed in any way where they could be made available for public consumption or any other use not authorized by this license.
How to Apply
- Complete the online License to Collect of Possess: Shellfish Gardening Application
You may also contact the Marine Permit Office at [email protected] or by calling (631) 444-0470 to request an application.
Current License Holder Information
All licenses expire one year from the date of issuance. A license renewal form will be sent by email prior to the expiration date noted on the license. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2-weeks prior to the expiration date, email [email protected] or contact the Marine Permit Office at (631) 444-0470.
To apply for a license amendment, submit the request using the online application: License to Collect of Possess: Shellfish Gardening Application Only include the information pertaining to the specific amendment(s) you are requesting. Please do not include previously submitted information already authorized under your license.
A license amendment can include one or more of the following changes:
- Name change
- Contact information change (mailing address, phone number, email address)
- Site location change
- Adding or removing designated agents
- Any other changes
- Note: Site location and designated agent changes must be submitted prior to the change taking place.
All licensees must submit an annual report with their license renewal. The license will have a condition that lists the required information for the annual report.
Applicable Laws and Regulations
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
- 11-0515 Licenses to Collect, Possess or Sell for Propagation, Scientific or Exhibition Purposes
To access full text visit New York State Legislature. Select 'ENV' from the Consolidated Laws list to access ECL. Under Article 11 - Fish and Wildlife, select Title 5, and then select 11-0515.
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
Additional Resources and Information
Both links leave DEC's website.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension SPAT Program
- East Hampton Shellfish Education and Enhancement Directive
Other Related or Similar Licenses
- License to Collect or Possess - Marine Resources: For all collection and possession of marine species.
- Licenses to Collect, Possess or Sell: For all collection, possession, or sale of non-marine fish, wildlife, shellfish, crustaceans, aquatic insects, birds, and/or captive bred/permanently disabled species for the purpose of education, exhibition, scientific research or propagation (breeding).