The Marine Bait Permit allows the permit holder to take Atlantic menhaden (bunker, Brevoortia tyrannus), silversides (Minidia spp), and killifish (Fundulus spp) and to sell these fish as bait at retail only.
Applicants 16 years old or under must have application signed and notarized by parent or legal guardian.
Permit expires December 31 of each year.
How to Apply
- You may contact the Marine Permit Office and request an application be mailed to you.
- An application (PDF) is also available for you to complete.
- Complete the application and submit it and the license fee to the Marine Permit Office at the address below.
Renewing & Reporting
A renewal application will be sent by mail prior to the permit expiration date. If a license renewal form is not received at least 2 weeks prior to the expiration date, please contact us at the address or number below.
The license holder must submit vessel trip reports (VTRs) monthly to DEC (or NMFS if a federal permit holder).
Laws & Regulations
New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR)
Environmental Conservation Law (ECL)
To find a law click on the link, click on ENV, find Article 13, click on the appropriate law.
13-0335 Food fish; license; prohibited acts
Gear Restrictions on the Marine Bait Permit
The permit holder may use only the following gear:
- Cast nets no larger than 20 feet in diameter
- Seines not larger than 30 feet in length or 4 feet in depth
- Lift nets not larger than 16 square feet
- Bait traps not more than 30 inches in length.
Marine Permit Office - Division of Marine Resources
205 North Belle Mead Road, Suite 1
East Setauket, New York 11733
Email Marine Permit Office